To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our customers' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

Can I keep my private well?

Yes, you can keep your well.  But, your water well piping CANNOT be connected to the piping that connects to the water system.

What if I decide I no longer want my water connection?

There are no long term contracts, etc.  You can cancel your water service at anytime and get your full refund.

How could I have used this much water?

You may not have - the numbers on your meter may have been transposed or hard to read. You could possibly have a leaky toilet or faucet that's difficult to detect. Just call the office and we'll work with you to solve the problem.

When will I be required to start paying a monthly bill?

Water usage charges will begin once water has been made available to your house.

What if I decide that I want a meter/water connection later on?

You can request a meter/water connection at anytime.  This project is being funded through grants from Capital Outlay and the USDA.  When this project is complete we will no longer be able to add meters for the same price. You will have to pay the full cost for the contractor to connect a meter.  The minimum cost will be $350 per meter. Plus, if the pipe is on the opposite side of the road from your property you will have to pay the cost of boring underneath the road.  This will make the total significantly higher.

Can I get more than 1 meter?

Yes you can. 

Is the water going to be supplied by the Town of Merryville?

No, we will have our own system.  The well will be located on Hwy 111 next to the BECI substation. 

I am not the landowner, but I live on the property. Can I apply for a meter?

Yes, we will need a bill (electric or phone) with your name on it.  Plus, a copy of your driver's license.

Do I have to have a 911 address?

No, you can get that at a later date.

What do I do if I am experiencing low pressure?

Check your meter and the surrounding area for possible leaks. Next, call our office and report low pressure for your area.

Why is my water discolored?

A repair could have been completed recently allowing air to enter the line, causing the milky look.

What chemicals does our utility district add to the water?

Only chemicals that are approved by the National Safety Foundation for treatment of drinking water.

My water tastes, looks, and smells funny. Is it safe to drink?

All public water systems are required to maintain a minimum chlorine level of 0.2 mg/L (tested at the end of each line) by state law. Systems that use chloramine as a disinfectant must maintain a level of 0.5 mg/L by state law. Our disinfectant levels are tested daily to ensure safety.

Why does debris come out of the faucet when running hot water?

Most likely your water heater needs to be flushed. CAUTION: Most manufacturers recommend hiring a professional to flush your water heater. If you plan on doing this yourself, read the owner's manual to keep from being hurt and or damaging the water heater.

Why do I have a previous balance when I know I sent in my payment?

We may have received it after the due date or we may not have received it at all. Call our office and we will help you solve the problem.